Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dirty Diapers, Dirty Towels, Dirty Dad

"Yes, I DO feel better. Sorry for pooping on the towel."

I haven't been updating the blog nearly as much as I would have liked...I guess kids do tend to eat up a chunk of your free time. But it's all worthwhile, at least that's what I keep hearing. Just kidding, it's been a blast to this point. Of course Cooper pretty much eats/sleeps/loads diapers, so there isn't a lot of "parenting" and mostly "chaperoning".

My last blog entry promised an update on diaper changing in the middle of the night, as well as Cubby's first bath. I'll start with the diaper changing, because I tend to do that a little more frequently. In case you don't have children of your own, the "dirty" diapers when they are newborn look more like he/she has been consuming mustard. There are no "logs", there are no "baby ruths". And it is very easy to get this on you. Which I learned during a late-night changing session in Cubby's room. Keep in mind the changing room was mostly dark except for the small lamp on a dresser.

I was half-asleep when Supermom elbowed me in the ribs and said, "I just fed him 30 minutes ago...he probably needs his diaper changed." A good husband would have read between the lines and figured out that she meant she wasn't going to do it. I, however, am not that smart. The second elbow came flying about 30 seconds after the first when Supermom realized I hadn't figured out what she meant.

Since Cubby is bunking in our love nest until he's a little older, I scooped him out of the cradle and whisked him off to his room and the changing table. Cubby had loaded up a doozy for dear old dad, and I commenced to a-changin'. In my fury (and sleepiness) I wasn't quite as careful with the hand/wipe interaction as I am normally. Some of the GSR (gun shot residue) had found its way to the back of my right hand.

At this late hour I wasn't completely grossed out by it, nor did I really care to be honest. I took him back to his cradle, washed my hands, and went back to bed.

-------------------------------------------------

A few days after Cubby came home from the hospital Supermom decided it was time for his first "bath". Actually it is more like a "wiping" because you use a wash cloth and some warm water. Anyway, one of the many baby shower gifts we received was a sponge in the shape of a turtle. Pretty cool, huh? Supermom put down a white towel over the sponge, I'm guessing to keep baby warm. The "wiping" was proceeding without a hitch, and Cubby even seemed to enjoy it a little.

When we removed the diaper and started cleaning his "manly" areas I heard the first indication that something was about to go down. Cubby is a lot like a thunderstorm--you hear the thunder before you see the lightning. In fact, this is how Supermom and I discuss whether he needs a fresh diaper.

"Was that thunder or lightning?"

"It sounded pretty wet, I'm guessing it was lightning."

Well, the thunder came and went. But just before Supermom slapped on a new diaper, Cubby let loose with just a little squirt of lightning. Have you ever dribbled a little mustard on a white shirt? How's that for a visual? The good news is that the stain has been removed from the towel. The memory will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive