Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Settling In at Home


It's been a wild few days at the ranch a.k.a. Casa Overocker. Cooper was ready to come home last Friday, Supermom wasn't able to go home until Saturday. So the Overocker family waited until momma bear was ready to come home, which we did Saturday afternoon. SuperGrandma(Supermom's mother) accompanied us and has been holding watch ever since. She's scheduled to go home today (Wednesday) but will find that to be somewhat difficult when I lock her in Cooper's room, prison-style.

NahNah (pronounced gnaw-gnaw) was a whirlwind the first few days. Because Cooper arrived a little early, we hadn't quite finished washing/drying/folding all his clothes. Do kids really need that many? Supernahnah sprung into action, washing/drying/folding in addition to cooking, cleaning, changing diapers with one hand, burping, rocking, solving quantum physics equations in between naps and offering a workable solution to health insurance reform. She seems to be holding up well.

Supermom is feeling much better, and that has this proud husband/father feeling a lot better. Because Cooper was delivered C-section, there was obviously a lot of soreness and swelling. But Supermom is a quick healer and can really tolerate pain, so she's improving quickly every day. I still have to remind her to take things slow, but she's listening (first time for everything) and seems to be well on the road to recovery.

If you care to read my thoughts on the little guy, feel free to read on. If not, I'd stop right here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine most fathers feel the same way I did when Supermom was pregnant. She went through the body changes and hormones, she felt him when he kicked or turned, and I pretty much just tried to take care of her. I guess I was also taking care of him, but it's hard to feel that way when you don't get to experience the same things she does. So right up until the day we delivered I really didn't feel like I was part of the "process".

But all of that goes out the window when you see your child for the first time. So many emotions, and I'm totally shocked I didn't cry like the day they slapped my ass for the first time. He's already got me wrapped around his little finger. I can't wait to teach him to read books, play hide-and-seek, swing a baseball bat, rub the dogs' belly in just the right spot to get their leg kicking, and hug momma "super tight." It's gonna be a fun ride.

In the next installment, diaper changing in the middle of the night and Cooper's first bath. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're home now! Continue to baby your superwife! It's tough being a new/first-time mama! I hope that you guys are getting some rest. It's so nice that your MIL spent some time helping out. I'm sure things will just keep getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive