Thursday, August 20, 2009

Baby Fountain...

What you see above is known as a "PeePee TeePee for the Wayward WeeWee". I'm not kidding, that's what it says on the packaging. It was a gift from one of Supermom's co-workers, and its function is very simple. When the diaper is off Cubby, you're in the firing line unless that little cap is covering him up. Up until a few days ago we never had to put it to use.

This particular diaper change started like any other. Cubby awoke and began to wiggle around. Then he started to grunt, groan and whimper. Then he let loose with a scream. It's not a sustained cry, but more like a short burst of disgust. This is a sign that his diaper needs to be changed; the boy has had enough of lying in his own filth. I would react the same way.

Supermom was in the other room, so daddy was back to the changing table with baby. Everything was proceeding as normal, and when I slipped the new diaper under Cubby's backside I turned to grab another wipe to finish the job. As I turned back I heard something that sounded like rain. Cubby was soaking the changing table, my shirt, and even hit the crib in a few places. I quickly folded the diaper over to stop the sprinkler, and busted out laughing. Supermom heard my guffaws from the other room and came quickly. Cubby-1, Daddy-0.

Because my office is so close to the house I have the luxury of going home every day for lunch. It's great to see my beautiful wife and my son during the middle of the work day. That next day the lunch hour arrived and I went home. The minute I walked inside Supermom began to recount her brush with the sprinkler earlier that morning. Apparently the circumstances were pretty much the same EXCEPT Cubby was pointed the other direction. He proceeded to soak the other side of the changing table, the glider/rocking chair, some of the carpet, and narrowly missed hitting mommy.

Our son apparently has the aim of a well-trained sniper. Every diaper change now includes the possibility of getting hosed. Supermom and I are now employing the PeePee TeePee whenever possible but it doesn't always work. If Cubby is wiggling around, the TeePee will not stay put. I found that out the hard way last night. Right after his pre-bedtime feeding (sometime around 9:30 p.m.) he dropped quite a load in his diaper. Supermom heard the grunts, felt the vibration, and prepared me for the worst. We agreed it was probably best if we tag teamed the diaper.

The changing was going well and the new diaper (with TeePee) was in position. Cubby kicked his legs, the TeePee fell off, and he let loose. I tried to get out of the way, exclaimed "You gotta be kidding me," and tried to block the stream. Supermom was laughing so hard she almost pulled out her stitches.

If the last few days are any indication, we might have our hands full.

2 comments:

  1. That's atleast Cubby - 2, Daddy - 0.......remember the messy hand!!! HAHAHA!!! I love these stories JO! Thanks for keeping your Kansas family updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait for super poops! Ain't no teepee for that! And yes they get projectile! Oh the joys of parenting...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive