Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Surgery, Again

When Cooper was diagnosed with his congenital heart defect, we were informed that the course of treatment would include a major surgery.  And we had prepared ourselves as much as we could for that inevitable day.  Thanks to the surgeons, nurses and specialty doctors that have looked after him before, during, and following the surgery he's happy and healthy.

Which brings me to the subject of this blog post.  In addition to his heart defect, Cooper arrived with something the doctor referred to as a "hypospadias".  As a male member of the human race, I will dance around this subject matter like Kevin Bacon in Footloose.  Let me put it this way...there is a condition, which needs to be repaired surgically, and the area affected is below his waist and above the thigh.

Technically speaking a hypospadias is a somewhat common defect in which the opening of the urethra is on the underside, rather than the end, of his, um, package.  Not to make light of the situation, because we are talking about surgery here, but it's a "sensitive" subject and I don't really want to go into much more detail.

The good news is the urologist believes that barring any crazy complications this will be the only surgical procedure required to make the repair.  But it's still surgery, and they're still going to put him under (there's always a risk), but when put in context with a major heart procedure it doesn't seem to stress me out quite as much.  It feels so heartless when I say that, but the anxiety I feel today is much different that what I felt a day before his heart surgery.

Anyway, tomorrow is the big day.  We leave for the hospital very early in the morning, and if all goes well we'll be home sometime tomorrow night.  I'll post an update here when I can.  If you feel so inclined, a little prayer for Cooper would be very much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Poor little guy!! I guess there's something with the name Kouper/Cooper that involves congenital birth anomalies?! I'll be thinking about you guys tomorrow. Best of luck... prayers said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It does seem odd that the name for both you and I has led to some anxious moments in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive