Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day One-Recap

I'm going to try and summarize everything that happened today. First and foremost I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement. Supermom and I were very touched by the outpouring of support from friends and family. For those who know me, I rarely have any difficulty verbalizing the thoughts and ramblings that rattle around in my brain. In this instance I'm not really sure what to say except "Thanks."

Cooper is resting comfortably at the hospital tonight. Supermom and I are at home trying to get some rest. San Antonio is renowned for the quality of medical care available, and I've learned this first-hand. The doctors, surgeons, nurses, and other medical professionals associated with the University of Texas Health Science Center and Christus-Santa Rosa hospital are first-class and have taken great care of Cooper.

The procedure went as well as we could have hoped. The repair to his ventricle was complete and successful. He's stable and will be in the P-ICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) for the next couple of days. He'll remain on a ventilator through tonight, and if all goes well in the morning he'll be breathing on his own.

Supermom and I were able to see him after he was transferred to the P-ICU this afternoon. I expected the worst but was surprised to see him look as normal as he did. He's hooked up to all sorts of machines and monitoring equipment, which as a parent sends your stomach up into your throat. But the nurses tell us he's responding very well to the medicines.

We'll be up early and at the hospital to see him tomorrow. We're hoping that once the doctors get to their daily "rounds" that they will give the go-ahead to have him removed from the ventilator and breathing on his own. If he's breathing without assistance and his blood pressure remains stable, there is a chance he could be transferred to intermediate care by Thursday.

Again, thank you to everyone for their well-wishes and prayers for the little man. He's tough like his momma. More tomorrow, I'm off to get some rest.

5 comments:

  1. Great news! Hang in there guys, we're praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been praying for all of you since I got your email. Please know that you are continually on my mind- hugs for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping all three of you in our prayers! Glad surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I know it's been a hard time for you and Supermom! I'm so happy to hear that everything went well. I can't wait to hear more!

    *hugs*
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is such a strong little guy! Great to hear that he is doing well. Keep us updated!! We can't wait to see him.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive